- A proactive notificaion when an important notification found in monitoring (response to incidents).
- Alert is raised before customer identifies and addresses an issue.
- Unified alerts are managed by log analytics and application insights.
- The previous type of alert are classic alerts.
- Alerts are raised for matrics and logs. Ex. Metric values, Log search queries, Activity log event, Health of the underlying azure platform, test for website availability.
|New||Issue has been detected but has not been reviewed.|
|Acknowlaged||Administrator has reviewed the alert and started working on it.|
|Closed||Issue has been resolved.|
NOTE : The state changes are stored in alert’s history.
Alert states are independent of Monitor condition (fired or resolved).
Different type of reaction to an incident
- Alerts & alert rules & action group
- Classic alerts
- Metric alerts
- Log alerts
- Activity log alerts
- common alert schema
- Smart groups (aggregation of lalerts base on machine learning algorithms)
- Auto scale
- Change analysis
Permission and privilages
We can use the Role-based access control (RBAC) at different levels
- Subscription Level
- Resource Level
The RBACs which are available for Azure Monitor service are the following:
- Monitoring Contributor
- Monitoring Metrics Publisher
- Monitoring Reader
Ex. A user with the Monitoring contributor access for VM1 can only consume and mange the alert that have been generated for VM1.
Add new Alert
Alerts are defined via Azure Minitor Service blade.
Go to Azure portal > Monitor service> Go to Alerts section > Use add alert rule button.
According to the seleced resource there’s different signals available.
- Activity logs
The alert configuration is different respectively. But without considering the signal types always we need the following items for creating an alert rule in Azure Monitor Service.
(For the scope of Alert Rule)
|The scope of alert is specified in this step.|
– Subscription level
– Resource Group level
– A specific resource
– One Alert Rule for multiple resources with the same Resource Type is available.
|Condition||The monitoring criteria.|
|Action Group||Collection of notifications.|